This is the third most common metal on earth and one of the most toxic. It has incredibly low density and is able to resist corrosion. It is soft, durable and lightweight and is silver/dull grey.
It is commonly found in most water (except filtered and bottled). Very low levels can be found in plants, cereals, fruits and vegetables due to high concentrations in the ground, however there is none found in herbs, spices and teas. It is quite common in doughs and processed cheese.
It is common in everyday items like transport, household products, packaging and lighting. It is used in some antiperspirants and many over the counter medications contain quite high levels of aluminium.
Symptoms of aluminium toxicity can include memory loss, learning difficulty, loss of coordination, disorientation, mental confusion, disturbed sleep, colic, heartburn, flatulence, and headaches. Studies are still continuing about its possible link with Alzheimer’s.
This is a shiny grey metal and is extremely flame retardant. It is often used in cosmetics, army supplies and in cables.
Symptoms of antimony poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness and depression. Large doses cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal discomfort and tingling of the extremities.
Arsenic appears in many minerals and is a metallic grey colour in its raw form. It is used in pesticides, wood products, and is notoriously poisonous.
Symptoms of arsenic poisoning can cause headaches, confusion, severe diarrhoea and drowsiness. In intense exposure, it can cause death.
This is a divalent element which naturally occurs when used in combination with other elements in minerals. It has a high melting point and a higher elasticity than steel. It is commonly found in x-ray machines, vehicle electronics and also used in aircraft, missiles, spacecraft and satellites.
Symptoms of beryllium toxicity include conjunctivitis, skin irritation, skin ulcers, nausea, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, eye irritation and in severe cases pneumonia.
This is a brittle metal with a silvery white colour when fresh, but gains a pink tinge due to oxidation. It is also slightly radioactive. Bismuth has a low toxicity and is found in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals including Pepto-Bismol.
Symptoms of bismuth toxicity include confusion, decreased appetite, weight loss, weakness, joint pain, skin rash, tremors, diarrhoea and staining on gums.
A very similar metal to zinc and mercury. It is slightly blue/white in colour.
It is commonly found in batteries (mainly rechargeable), electroplating, televisions and paints. There are also large quantities found in food products such as spinach, potatoes, shellfish and offal. It is one of the most toxic ingredients in cigarettes.
Symptoms of cadmium toxicity include fatigue, headaches, vomiting, anaemia and in more severe cases kidney dysfunction and emphysema.
Chromium is a steely-grey hard metal with a high melting point. It is mostly used to harden steel and other services to resist corrosion.
All chromium compounds may cause dermatitis and some may cause occupational asthma. They can also cause chrome ulcers which form little holes in the skin.
It is produced by reductive smelting and is silver/grey on colour. It used to be used as a blue pigment for jewellery but had to be stopped due to the amount of reactions it caused. It can commonly be found in lithium batteries and electroplating.
Symptoms of cobalt toxicity include gastro issues, tinnitus and respiratory diseases.
It is soft and malleable and red/orange in colour. It is a great conductor of heat and electricity. It is often found in many household fittings including electrical wiring, roofing and plumbing.
Symptoms of copper toxicity include headaches, insomnia, fatigue, depression, learning difficulties and skin rashes.
This is an alloy consisting of mercury (50%), silver (22-32%), tin (14%), copper (8%), and other trace metals. It is used due to its low cost, ease of application, strength and durability.
Symptoms include various chronic breathing disorders, compromised cognitive functions, extreme changes in mood, hallucinations and depression.
This is a very dense metal, shiny and a bright yellow colour. It is often found in jewellery but it is also edible and is used in some foods and drinks.
Symptoms of gold toxicity include headaches, vomiting, dermatitis, jaundice and pneumonitis.
It is a soft malleable metal and is dull grey in colour. It is found in paint, ink, batteries, soldering, car fuel and is common in many plants. It is used in many weapons and also in the manufacturing of cars.
Symptoms of lead toxicity includes headache, abdominal pain, kidney failure, memory loss and many aspects of weakness and pain especially of the extremities.